Anderson, TX asked in Divorce, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Texas

Q: What can I do about my ex husband trying to claim he is too ill for child support?

My ex husband was an abuser that drinks & abused substances. I tried to leave with my kids that I solely provided for. He would threaten to kill us every time & we could never get out. In 2014 we finally got divorced (thanks to a pushy mistress) & he still wouldn't let us go. He followed none of the decrees. No health insurance, the house was always in foreclosure, & utilities often were shut off. I paid those many times. When it was decreed we leave, he wouldn't let us. When covid hit he was told to stop going out to drink, he joked about our auto immune kid being at risk. He got covid & spread it. He ended up hospitalized then in rehab. He came back & continued the abuse & drinking etc. 2022 we tried to leave & he was arrested for trying to kill us. Explosives in the home & bear spraying all of us. The kids are now 24, 18, 18. We are homeless & get back child support. He has a 10,000 lawer, we can't afford one. He wants it all back saying he can't afford to live & is too sick to pay.

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Tanaka
Jonathan Tanaka
  • Harker Heights, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The attorney general's office should be able to work on getting that back for you -- I would recommend reaching out to them. Before doing so, make sure you have a copy of the divorce decree so you can provide them with the cause number.

I wish you all the best!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.