Hinesville, GA asked in Probate for Arizona

Q: Could I be sued for becoming PR for probate without notifying heir? How hard is it to prove that I didnt mail other heir

I'm in AZ. Hypothetically speaking. If I were to become PR without notifying heirs so that I could settle lawsuits outside of probate to claim them for myself (checks signed to my name) could I face legal action from the other heir? If so what are the chances I would lose all of the money/face prison time? Would I be required to give back just half? Would it be hard to prove I didnt send mail notifying the other heir? If they can't afford a lawyer would it be easier to "get away with" so to speak.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andre L. Pennington
Andre L. Pennington
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Surprise, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: This is illegal and you’d hold liability both civilly and potentially criminally. It’s important to do the right thing. Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.