Asked in Car Accidents, Personal Injury and Traffic Tickets for Georgia

Q: If I got rear ended at a high rate of speed because my car stalled and I got ticketed for improper lane change who is at

I was merging over to shoulder when I got hit

2 Lawyer Answers
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: This is a fact driven scenario and will be determined based on the evidence that can be produced. If you were able to signal the lane change after stalling, it is possible the party who rear-ended you would be at fault for following too closely and would be liable for your injuries. However, if the lane change was unsignaled and abrupt, that would lead to liability on your part and the reason you received a citation. Finding video or eye witnesses of the incident would be key in exonerating you from the citation and in making the other party liable for your injuries. Consultations are free, if you would like to have an attorney explore your options more fully.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It looks like part of your question was left off, but that you meant to ask about who is at fault. Based on the citation and the rear-end impact, it's possible both vehicles could share liability. Determining percentages could require closer investigation. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.