Asked in Child Support and Divorce for North Carolina

Q: I have been separated for 10 years, I am trying to get divorce but I am unsure what type of divorce I should file for.

I moved back to my country 3 months after getting married due to immigration reasosns. My ex filed a peition for me to come back as his spouse but by that time he was already in another relationship. I currently work but also support our child and have been for the past 10 years. He only helped the 1st year and then decided he couldn't anymore. He has also claimed us as dependents for tax purposes and has received benefits from the government during the pandemic. My son and I have not received any type of financial help form him and our communication is almost not existant.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
N'kia (NLN)
N'kia (NLN)
  • Cary, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: In North Carolina, there is really only one type of divorce -- "Absolute Divorce." However, when someone files for divorce, child custody and child support aren't automatically included. Also, the appropriate place to file for child custody or child support typically depends on where the child resides. You should consult with an attorney who can advise you based on your specific facts and circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.