Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: my dad committed suicide on december24,2022. im his only child,he left no will. he owned a house free and clear in ok

I live in California the property's in ok. what do I do to get property's in my name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I am sorry for your loss. Unless the property was in joint tenancy or had a transfer of death deed filed, you will have to have an estate proceeding to pass good title to real property to either the heirs or to a purchaser of the property. Your buyer will not be able to get a title policy without and estate proceeding. After discussing whether there are any other issues in the estate, an estate attorney will be able discuss with you the timing and cost of the proceeding. (They are cheaper and generally faster in Oklahoma than in California!)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.