Lawrenceville, GA asked in Child Support, Family Law and Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: Child support in MA with out of state father.

I recently had a baby while living in MA. I filed for child support giving as much information about the father as possible. It has been a week and the application still says "submitted".

The father moved out of state and won't supply me his new address so I could only provide what I knew.

How long does it take to hear back? How will this work with him being so far away and not able to come to the court date?

Will he have custody rights? I can't nor do I want to travel every time he has his visitation

1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Waller
Brian Waller
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Worcester, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It could take anywhere from several weeks to several months. You could call DOR-CSE and ask them about the status if you haven't heard anything in a few more days.

DOR will work with the child support agency in his state to collect the payments once the MA court issues an order for child support. They should be able to perform a search for his address, but if he has not officially established an address in his new state it may take a while. There are other ways for the court to enter the child support order if you can't find him, usually by publishing notice of the case in the newspaper.

With regard to custody, as the mother, you will have sole legal and physical custody unless there is a court order that says something different. He would need to file something in MA in order to get that order. You would most likely not be responsible for traveling to him for visits, but sometimes his cost of travel can be factored into the amount of child support he pays.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.