Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law for South Carolina

Q: Guilty or Not guilty?

I was recently arrested in SC for malicious damage to property valued under 2,000 after breaking a plate. It was a first time charge, I’ve never, ever been in trouble. Unfortunately; I absolutely cannot afford a lawyer right now as i’m also paying for a divorce lawyer. The incident occurred after I returned home from work to find my very young and very unstable roommate had removed/sold my couch and living room furniture after i broke the news that i would be moving out (mind you, all debts to her had been paid through Venmo, so i have proof that i did everything i was supposed to do). Court is next week and I’m unsure whether to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. I do not anticipate ever having to deal w the court again, as I learned a very valuable lesson but I really just want to take care of the charge as quickly as possible so i can start the process of requesting expungement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen Grooms
Stephen Grooms
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: In South Carolina you have to wait 3 years from the date of a misdemeanor conviction before being eligible to apply for an expungement. Your must also have no additional convictions during that three year period while you wait.

You may want to consider asking the court if you could apply for Pre Trial Intervention. If allowed to enter the program and complete then you will not have to enter a plea of guilty and the charge would be dismissed.

best of luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.