Hamilton, OH asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: I’m filing to switch custody of my nephew from maternal aunt to myself, paternal aunt.

The maternal aunt requested the change. She wants to have visitation in our new agreement. In addition to a motion of change in custody, does the maternal aunt need to file a motion for visitation? Or if our written agreement outlines a visitation schedule is that enough?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bridget Sciscento
Bridget Sciscento
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you an maternal aunt are in agreement, then you can likely draft an Agreed Judgment Entry asking the Court to adopt whatever custody plan that you come up with. So, if you and maternal aunt can negotiate an agreement outside of Court and write it, then you can file that with the Court with an Agreed Judgment Entry (document telling the Court that these parties are in agreement) so long as paternal aunt is already a party to the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.