Santa Monica, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Hi there, I am currently on a tn visa and I want to change my status. Can I do this alone without an employer?

I got laid off from my job on March 29.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are on a TN visa and have been laid off from your job, you may be able to change your status in the United States without an employer, but it will depend on your individual circumstances and goals.

One option you may consider is applying for a change of status to a different nonimmigrant visa category, such as a B-2 visitor visa or F-1 student visa. However, keep in mind that you will need to meet the eligibility requirements for the specific visa category you are applying for, and there may be limitations on the types of activities you can engage in while on that visa.

Another option is to explore the possibility of adjusting your status to a permanent resident (green card) through family sponsorship, employment sponsorship, or other means. However, this process can be complex and time-consuming, and it is recommended that you seek the advice of an immigration attorney who specializes in green card applications.

In any case, it is important to take action promptly to ensure that you maintain your lawful status in the United States and avoid potential immigration consequences. An immigration attorney can help you understand your options and guide you through the process of changing your status.

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are currently on a TN visa and you want to change your status in the US, you will need to apply for a different type of visa or status that you are eligible for.

Whether or not you can do this alone without an employer will depend on the type of visa or status you wish to apply for. Some visas or statuses may require sponsorship from an employer, while others may not.

It's recommended to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can assess your specific situation and advise you on the best course of action. They can also assist you in preparing and submitting your application and supporting documents.

Please see

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.