Asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: An LLC bought my duplex, after 1 years states they will fix issues after we leave. want to rent to their son instead?

LLC bought duplex , raises rent 200 then, when I ask for new lease I got a text that said, to difficult to fix issues while you live there so , 2 months notice to leave so the can fix apartment for the LLC son to move in? they have already moved their nephew in upstairs. I do not want to move. They depleted my saving raising my rent. I understand that owner can do as they please, but an LLC is that different? i feel they are retailing b/c i ask for issues to be fixed.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It makes no difference if landlord is an LLC. If you do not have a written lease for a specified lease term, then landlord can terminate your tenancy by giving 30 days written notice. Landlord is giving you 2 months. If you don't leave, then landlord can file an eviction, which is a permanent court record that can make it difficult for you to rent from a landlord who checks the records, and most do. So work it out with landlord as best you can to avoid an eviction being filed, and use the 2 months' notice to find a new place.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.