Dayton, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: Can the cops keep my money if I’ve not been charged with anything?

I was driving a friends car and got pulled over, they found narcotics in a jacket not belonging to me. In my hoodie I had $6800 still in the key bank envelope from where I had sold my home, I have paperwork from the house selling and bank statements from where they had just cashed a payment. I have no been charged with anything. I’m trying to get my money back but they aren’t trying to let me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick DiChiro
Patrick DiChiro
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Independence, OH

A: If you are not charged, they should not keep your money. You may have to file a replevin (return of property) action to get the money back. However, it is possible that they are still contemplating charges. So,I would gather whatever information you have, bank statements and the like, to show that the money seized was not the result of selling drugs.

Best wishes,

Patrick DiChiro

Dimitrios Makridis and Marcus A. Ross agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.