Bound Brook, NJ asked in Child Support and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: How much child support should I be getting?

1 child, 50/50 custody, I don’t currently work however I am comfortable using $50K as my yearly salary. I am remarried w 2 other younger children (7&4). My ex husband is not remarried but his fiancé and daughter live with him. Originally our salaries were $150K & $50K, now my ex husband makes much more. He is supposed supply his tax returns to me yearly but he hasn’t ever given to me. He says just to use his base salary and bonuses and that is $400K. He makes a decent amount more in commissions, possibly doubling his salary. He says he doesn’t want to supply tax returns because his finances are too complicated and to just use $400K.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. Since your ex-husband is being evasive, you can force the issue and make him produce his tax returns provided it is in your original Marital Settlement Agreement by filing a motion. You can also include in the motion a request to recalculate child support. There are many factors that go into calculating child support, and additional information would be required from you to do so.

Your best option is to consult with an experienced family law attorney who can give you your options and file a motion on your behalf if that is the option you choose to pursue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.