Bethany, OK asked in Divorce, Family Law, Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Oklahoma

Q: In the state of Oklahoma, is it legal to marry an individual, while still being married to another person?

I've searched public records to see if there is any kind of divorce decree or even a filing of a petition for either marriage licenses, and i am not seeing anything of the sort. This individual was never Common Law married. I read the public filing of both marriage licensing that was filed, but nothing on a petition for divorce for either marriage. What does this mean, about the 2nd marriage? Is it safe to say that the 2nd marriage is legal and binding in any way? And I also did some research about this topic, and i read somewhere that it is considered to be a criminal felony to the person who filed for the marriage licenses. How do I go about shedding light on this to the proper authorities? Not trying to be petty, but I am the 2nd person that this girl married. We are no longer together, and she is threatening to take 1/2 of everything if I file for divorce. Please help me understand how to handle this situation. Seems to me she should be in jail on bigamy charges.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It sounds like your case has some very unique set of circumstances. Therefore, you need to contact a family law attorney for your best course of action. Most will give a free phone consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.