Arvada, CO asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Civil Litigation and Construction Law for Colorado

Q: Contractor purchased materials on my CC, most never delivered/installed, he disappeared after demo, what is my recourse?

I hired a GC & signed a contract to remodel my bathroom. I have not received a copy of this contract despite asking every day. The contract stipulated an est of $15k-a $4k deposit & $4k upon completion & I would pay for materials. The GC showed references & licensing info & they were referred to me by thumbtack, so I did not verify. The demo & some of the plumbing & drywall is complete, there is a giant hole cut into my exterior wall, so nowhere near done. We did several phone sales to purchase “materials” in excess of 7k with my CC. I requested all receipts, which I did not get. I had to call the stores to get these. I noticed large, unauthorized expenses such as equipment & supplies that are multiple job items & business expenses, e.g. Screwdrivers, power-tools & battery packs, a router, a dremmel. Also, none of the $2k of tile or flooring I purchased was ever delivered or installed. GC asked for more $, so I asked for the contract & now he’s a no show & not answering texts or calls.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Volpe
Ben Volpe pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I suggest considering a demand letter to the contractor regarding the issues. Keep in mind if there are construction defect issues, you'll need to consider a notice of claim letter per the Construction Defect Action Reform Act. If they do not make an effort to resolve the situation, you may be facing the need to file a lawsuit. Without a copy of the contract, it's difficult to say if you are required to mediate and/or arbitrate. Another thing that could result here is they could record a mechanic's lien on your house. If that happens, you should be put on 10-day notice of that lien filing via mail prior to the lien being filed. This dispute needs to be addressed properly. You would be well-served to seek legal counsel before making your next move.

DISCLAIMER: This information is provided for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice and should not be construed as providing legal advice on any subject matter. Nothing herein constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.