Columbus, GA asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: What do I need to provide to the at-fault's insurance company?

I was recently injured walking in a crosswalk by a young man pulling out of a parking lot. He was cited for not yielding in a crosswalk. He has 25k medical and 25k bodily injury. His insurance company left a message asking for a "statement". Do I need to provide this? I'm assuming they'll also want access to my medical records which I will only provide my bills for this case. Do I need to provide a statement? What am I entitled to besides my medical bills? Pain and suffering? Is 50k the max someone can get? I do have access to a personal injury attorney, but if the max I can get is 50k, than I can't afford to pay an attorney. They wanted 40% of the settlement. Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
James Clifton
James Clifton
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Do not provide a statement without the assistance of an attorney. The insurance company asks questions specifically designed to allege fault on your part. You will need to provide your full medical records, which may include medical records prior to the accident if requested. You are entitled to medical expenses, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses, and pain and suffering. Attorneys often are able to find additional insurance policies or other parties that may be liable such as the city for a crosswalk that is improperly maintained. There are many attorneys that charge less than 40%. My firm may charge as low as 25% in some personal injury cases. If the attorney can find $100,000 in insurance coverage or liability from other parties, even if they charged 40% you would make $60,000 instead of $50,000. Consultations are free, please schedule one as soon as possible after the incident to avoid the destruction of evidence and issues with the cause of the injury.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.