Waldorf, MD asked in Family Law for Maryland

Q: I am currently taking care of my siblings, but their father recently hinted that he wants to take them. What can I do?

My mother passed 2 years ago. About 2 months after their father left the house and has not been back. I used my life insurance money to take care of them, but the money has ran out. Now he pays the bills of the house. Even when my mother was alive I raised the children so he tries to manipulate me saying if it cannot be his way he will take them, but it’s coming to a point where I cannot continue to communicate with him and how he tries to control me and my other family members. I just want custody of my siblings so that I won’t have to deal with him anymore.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Whatever informal arrangement might exist, formal custody is determined by the courts. You're asking questions that really would benefit from sitting down and consulting with a family law attorney who can go over all the specifics of your situation and the options to seek formal guardianship and/or custody.

If you do not have the resources to hire an attorney there is some free help selecting the correct forms to file at family law "pro se" or "self help" clinics staffed by volunteer attorneys at the Circuit Court.

In Charles County, Family Law and General Civil Practice Clinics are sponsored by the Charles County Bar Association. The Family Law Clinic is open on Tuesdays from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. A volunteer lawyer is generally available to offer some guidance on custody matters. The clinics are located in the Charles County Circuit Courthouse next to Courtroom F.

While not legal advice I hope that this general information helps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.