Temperance, MI asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: Can the mother of my child change my child’s last name without my consent in Lucas County Ohio?

We were never married. We both signed birth certificate in the hospital after child was born and was given my last name. Both parents signed affidavit of paternity in hospital.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bridget Sciscento
Bridget Sciscento
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It is up to the Court. Paternity has been established. If Mom wants to change your child's last name, then you are entitled to notice of the proceedings, and you can present your case as to why it would not be best for the child's last name to be changed.

Nicholas P. Weiss agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.