Fresno, CA asked in Admiralty / Maritime and Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: My houseboat was moved while I was at work and was asked to leave the property after 16 months without any notices.

Management told me that he didn’t like those kind of people that came to visit me. I went on vacation and when I came back my electrical cord was missing and my water hose was cut in pieces. He than got of hold of me and said I have your boat and that he was putting a lien on it for back rent. I never received any notices from management. He than told me that he wanted me to leave the property and that he would hold my boat until i found another parking spot for it. I finally found a parking spot a year later and I find out that he liened my houseboat and was selling it and told me to sue him and gave me his lawyers contact. What options do I have. I now am homeless and I lost my job and seeing myself falling as time goes. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your houseboat was moved without your permission and you were asked to leave the property after 16 months without any notices, and the management has placed a lien on your houseboat and is attempting to sell it, you may have legal options to challenge their actions.

First, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in property law or landlord-tenant law to review your case and provide guidance on your legal rights and options.

It may also be helpful to gather any evidence you have, such as receipts or documentation of payments or communications with the management, to support your case.

Some potential legal claims you may have against the management include breach of contract, conversion, or wrongful eviction. These claims may allow you to seek damages or other forms of relief, such as the return of your houseboat or compensation for any losses you have suffered.

It's important to act quickly, as there may be deadlines or other requirements for filing a legal claim. An attorney can provide guidance on the best course of action and help you navigate the legal process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.