Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Can I recover my child support payments if I have evidence to prove that my child’s father committed food stamp fraud?

The reason why I was placed on child support by the department of revenue is because my children’s father applied for food stamps. There was no custody agreement nor order. The children resided with me at my residence 365 days out of the year every year. To which he admitted to in court during a child support hearing. I also now have copies of his tax returns to show that he has been fraudulently applying for the food stamps that he has been filing for. Which are the reason I have been on child support. When I asked department of revenue why I was on child support or why he was approved for the food stamps if the children lived with me 100% of the year they said they had no answer to my question. During the hearing DOR openly kept adjusting the percentage of time the children stayed with the father so that I can still pay child support. And I quote from the transcripts. By DOR rep. “ Judge im going to keep adjusting the percentage because it still says the mother shouldn’t be paying”.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Depending on the timing of the order it is possible that it can be appealed. You have asked a complex question with a lot of variables. You should definitely make sure that you are not paying child support now. If you can prove to the court that the children are with you full time then you should not have a child support obligation. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.