Las Vegas, NV asked in Employment Law for Nevada

Q: Hi. My employer paid me in hand written check (s). State and federal taxes were withheld. My wages weren't reported.

What do I do??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Double check your earnings record through your My Social Security account at If your wages are not accurately reported on your earnings record, the best way to handle the situation is get proof of your wages, such as W-2s. After you’ve gathered your documents showing proof of wages, contact Social Security so that they can use the information to correct your earnings record. You can call your local Social Security Field Office or call the national toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 or at 1-800-325-0778 (TTY) if you’re deaf or hard of hearing.

It is important to have your earnings record corrected because less wages recorded could mean lower Social Security benefit amounts for you or your family in the future. Keep checking your earnings record each year to make sure it reflects the correct amount you earned. You've got this!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.