Cleveland, OH asked in Child Support and Family Law for Ohio

Q: How can I get my father to pay the past due child support he owes that he never paid .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can talk to the child support enforcement folks at your local prosecutor's office, but he probably owes that money to your mother, not you. So, they would be more likely to listen to her complaint than your complaint. Of course, before encouraging the State to go after your dad you should consider two things: your relationship and whether it will do any good. A court order to pay money is just that: a piece of paper that says you have to do something. Actually enforcing it can get ugly fast and it is possible to go to jail/prison for non-payment of support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.