Madison, WI asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: How do I go about obtaining a deed to a portion of land that has been in the family for over 150 years without a deed?

The land is in Cabo Rojo. My great grandmother’s home has been vacant for 25 years. I was told family can build on this land, but there are no deeds to it. My great grandmother had many siblings and many have build homes without a deed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: The answer to your question entails procuring a Certification of your family's land from the Puerto Rico Property Registry. That will let you know whether the portion you speak of has been segregated or not.

If the portion was segregated, then the Puerto Rico Property Registry should identify the deed number, the deed subscription date and the notary before whom it was subscribed. With that information, you may contact the Office of Notary Inspections to find out where the original deed is located (if the notary is deceased, his collection of deeds -i.e., his protocol- will have been transfered to the town's Notary Archive).

If the portion of land was not segregated, then the owners (or the owners' heirs) of the original land plot must appear to subscribe a segregation deed.

If the portion of land was segregated but not filed with the Puerto Rico Property Registry, then a Domain file (expediente de dominio) lawsuit must be filed with the Puerto Rico court, and evidence must be submitted to convince the court regarding who the owner should be.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.