Ashland, OH asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Constitutional Law for Ohio

Q: Can you think of a case that has won when the appellate files an appeal with the Supreme Court from the court of appeals

Juvenile court judgement to terminate parental rights and grant custody to agency. Appellate files appeal with the district court of appeals. Appeals court agreed with juvenile court. Appellate then files appeal with Supreme court. Has any case ever won at that point, if so I need a case number to reference

1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Something as broad as any case the appellant has won at the Supreme Court is unlikely to help you too much but here are two from a quick search of the Supreme Court's website: In re R.K., 152 Ohio St.3d 316, 2018-Ohio-23 and In re C.F., 113 Ohio St.3d 73, 2007-Ohio-1104. Yes, the Supreme Court has reversed appellate courts in such cases. But by the time you get to the Supreme Court, you are typically arguing over a very specific point of law, or several. So these cases will only help people who have extremely similar scenarios in their own cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.