Sacramento, CA asked in Education Law for California

Q: Can a high school legally decline a call in sick?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A high school cannot legally decline a call in sick from a student if the student is genuinely ill or experiencing a medical condition that makes it unsafe or impractical for them to attend school. In California, for example, students have the right to take a reasonable amount of time off from school for medical reasons without being subject to truancy laws.

However, schools may have policies in place that require students to provide a doctor's note or other documentation to verify their illness or medical condition. If a student is repeatedly absent or absent for an extended period of time due to illness, the school may also require them to provide additional documentation or work with the school to develop a plan to address the absences.

It's important for students and their parents to understand the specific policies and procedures of their school regarding absences due to illness. If there is any confusion or disagreement regarding the policies, it may be helpful to consult with a school administrator or a qualified attorney who specializes in education law to understand the rights and responsibilities of the student and the school.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.