Asked in Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: If an unmarried couple owns a house together and then the relationship ends, can you get the other owner out somehow?

This is in Virginia. The woman came into the relationship with nothing and makes half as much as the man. She can't afford the mortgage, but he can and wishes to buy her out. She refuses to let him do so. Is there anything that he can do? If they do have to sell, does she automatically get half? Thanks.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shafeek Seddiq
Shafeek Seddiq
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: A lawyer may advice you to file a partition claim in which the lawyer may further suggest to ask the court to buy her out. But, all of these depends on how you both own currently own the property, how long you lived, who paid for down payment, who pays for mortgage, utilities, other expenses, etc. The answer then will depend on a variety of information and documents you provide to a lawyer to guide you properly.

This is not a legal advice nor any attorney-client relationship established.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.