Prosper, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Can I have rights terminated in Texas if the father is in prison for a crime against minors and abandonment.

My ex disappeared nearly 5 years ago. No child support dropped insurance . I recently found out he is in prison for a crime against children. I want to know my options for termination of rights or gaining 100% custody. I want to protect my kids . I have no idea if when he is getting out but want to know my options.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: In Texas, one of the grounds for which a parent's parental rights can be terminated is if that parent has been convicted or placed on community supervision (probation) for being responsible for the death or serious injury to a child under certain sections of the Texas Penal Code or a similar penal code in another state.

It is likely that you can file to have Father's parental rights terminated on the grounds that he's in prison for a crime against children. However, you should speak with a family law attorney in your jurisdiction who can assess the specifics of your case to better determine how successful you would be in getting his rights terminated. It would be worth paying a consultation fee to find out.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.