Key West, FL asked in Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law and Antitrust for Florida

Q: How sue local Code Compliance and Building department for not enforcing their own laws?

Several City Departments working hand in hand with rich real estate developers at the expense of working class by not applying their own laws and ordinances for the former. We have proof of several violations and refusal to act. Willfully unadressed violations so far include Illegal tear down of historic elements, Right of Way violations including driving construction vehicles on unsecured pedestrian space, unsecured hazards like filled pool without barriers, legal threats to neighbors etc. Code complaints have been altered by Code in the official systems. A Private Real Estate Attorney, threatening neighbors, was part of Special Advisory Board for the City Attorney (involved in the case as well). On a sidenote, the same real estate law firm also has created a monopoly where local residents cannot find a local attorney to represent them as they subcontract most local law representatives so no-one will go against them. What is our best bet here?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It's more of a political question than a legal one. Run for office or support a candidate with whom you agree on these issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.