Washington, DC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: My son's father owes over $12,000 in child support and refuse to pay. He closed all his bank accounts and quit his jobs.

He started working under the table, moved so I cannot find his address, and has Virginia license tags. He has social media showing that he is working and stated in text messages that he is working his own business under the table. He gets him during the summer, and I get to see him during my birthday week. I want to change the court order since he refuses to let me see him during the summer like he is supposed to and cuts his phone off, so we have no communication. He finds it funny and says it's nothing they can force him to do. What can be done because it looks like he is getting away with not paying or following the court order for over two years. All we keep doing is going to court for contempt.

1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You need to file contempt. Deliberate failure to follow a court order could cause a judge to hold him in contempt. Contempt is to secure future compliance with an order -- so yes, the court can actually make him follow it. Or face severe consequences up to and including jail.

For the custody part, you can also file to modify custody. This is to change the custody arrangement when something happens to make it unworkable -- such as not following the arrangement.

You should speak to a lawyer to explore your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.