Columbus, OH asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Ohio

Q: I no longer want my child, but my spouse does. If I abandon the household, but pay my spouse, will I be charged?

My spouse wants the child, works full time and I did not sign up to be a full-time caretaker after an unwanted pregnancy. If I abandoned the household and moved, possibly to another state, but paid my spouse a significant chunk of money every month to support the child will I go to jail for child abandonment? And if it leads to separation or divorce, will I be able to easily give away full custody to the other parent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Canton, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If you leave your child in the care of your spouse you will not be criminally charged. Your spouse may seek and likely get an order compelling you to pay child support. Ohio is a no-fault divorce state so the two of you may terminate your marriage for any reason, including incompatibility. Your obligation to support your child continues until the child is 18 and out of high school. It may continue longer if the child is disabled.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.