Saint Augustine, FL asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Elder Law and Probate for Virginia

Q: I have a question regarding being POA?

Father has left sister and I POA, we can act jointly or separately. Issue my sister aren't seeing eye to eye on is my father's 3rd largest asset (750K) is his home that is actually a vacation home. Lived there full time before he got sick. House is deteriorating, needs at least 35k in work to bring back to par. Audited the property found house is costing him over 30k/yr to keep even though he doesn't use it anymore, sister is ok with cost of him carrying the property and draining his bank account because she uses it, hopes to buy it when he dies. Problem is she is charging my dad's estate to go do "checks" on the property but doesn't get anything done? Don't need to sell but want to put in at least a breakeven/ positive cashflow position for him by turning it over to a professional property manager to manage and rent as a vacation rental for income for his estate. How can I make her understand it is our job to manage his finances in his best interest not hers or what can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Hire a VA attorney to file a Conservatorship. The POA is not working, and was probably drafted in error.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.