Long Beach, CA asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: My 15 yr old was search after school review the school cameras, now she has court. How can I get a copy?

My daughter says they didn’t have any reason to search her, I want to make sure her rights weren’t violated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your 15-year-old daughter is facing charges and has a court date as a result of a search at her school, you may be able to obtain a copy of the school's security footage through the discovery process in court. You may also wish to contact the school directly and request a copy of the footage.

It's important to understand that schools have the authority to conduct searches of students in certain circumstances, such as when there is a reasonable suspicion that a student has violated school rules or the law. However, schools must follow certain guidelines and procedures to ensure that students' rights are not violated during searches.

If you believe that your daughter's rights were violated during the search, you may wish to speak with an attorney who specializes in education law or juvenile law to discuss your options. They can help you understand your daughter's legal rights and represent her in court to ensure that those rights are protected.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.