Lake George, NY asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for New York

Q: Can a lawyer represent a person when said person never retained said lawyer?

The person claiming to be the lawyer of said person is said person's ex brother-in-law and married to the POA of said person's ex husband

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Nelson
Carl Nelson
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Rye Brook, NY

A: In the absence of an unusual circumstance such as where there has been a guardian appointed to represent the best interests of the principal, an attorney cannot represent someone without the principal's knowledge and consent to do so.

Steven Warren Smollens , Peter J. Weinman and Elaine Shay agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.