Jersey City, NJ asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New Jersey


Back in February DCPP was involved with me drinking. The worker and supervisor are extremely unqualified to do their jobs. I've sent emails, text, messages, voice-mail etc and they rarely get back to me.

While I'm being ignored, court was adjourned twice and then canceled today. I've been doing more than what the DCPP has asked of me and as of April 28th it was established that my son is being abused or neglected. Which is absolutely false and defamation of my character.

Even till now they've given away my custody to his father without any word, paperwork, or even to give myself a chance to defend myself.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially since there have been two DV cases closed with my sons father.

I'm completely in the dark. :(

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The short answer is that you can schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney who handles DCPP matters and is knowledgeable on the rules governing investigations by DCPP reps and the timeline for the completion of their investigations. An experienced family law attorney can also petition the court for a hearing or for other relief from the court if deemed appropriate. This is not the type of matter that you should try to handle on your own, since the rules governing DCPP investigations/court proceedings are different from other family part rules and require a specific level of knowledge.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.