Washington, DC asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Maryland

Q: How do I go about getting a custody order that was given in Georgia back in 2017 enforceable in Maryland?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: In order to enforce an out-of-state judgment or order in Maryland (or in any other state) you need to first obtain an “exemplified” or “triple seal” copy of the order/judgment from the state that issued it. This is different from a regular certified copy. It requires three signatures certifying the judgment/order as an official court order, typically a judge and two clerks, but any combination as approved by the issuing court is sufficient. Once you have that triple seal copy, you then can record it in the jurisdiction where you want it enforced and file a motion to enforce it or to hold the noncomplying party in contempt. You may also file a motion to modify its terms if circumstances have changed, as can the other party once the court gains personal jurisdiction over the parties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.