Abingdon, MD asked in Personal Injury for Maryland

Q: My 13 and 16 year old boys accidentally shot their bb guns into the siding of the neighbor behind our house.

My 13 and 16 year old boys accidentally shot their bb guns into the siding of the neighbor behind our house. We are willing to replace the dented siding but the owner is saying that we need to replace his entire siding because the new siding won't match the old siding. I have called for an estimate but wanted to see if we could just pay to replace what our kids messed up.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: These types of unreasonable demands based on aesthetics often become impossible when the one party wants a whole replacement with brand new siding for their entire house based on one unmatched panel. They’re not entitled to that. Call your homeowners insurance company. It is very possible your insurance company will cover this so long as the damage was caused through negligence (not deliberate intentional acts). Then give the neighbor your insurance adjuster’s name, claim number and phone number and wash your hands of it. Once it’s an insurance claim you cannot be involved in the negotiations, so this gives you cover. The neighbor can also submit a claim through their own homeowners insurance if they want, and then their insurance company will subrogate the claim against your company. But arguing the point with the unreasonable neighbor is not worth the aggravation.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: The insurance companies can sort it out. Additionally, their adjuster serves as an impartial evaluator of matching old and new siding. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.