Parker, CO asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Colorado

Q: How do I dispute an adjusted refund amount for my 2021 filing?

The reasons listed in my refund deduction notice were:

* The Social Security number of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent was missing or incomplete.

* The last name of one or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent does not match our records.

* One or more individuals claimed as a qualifying dependent exceeds the age limit.

I did not claim a dependent and this is reflected in my 1040 filing for 2021.

I have attempted to resolve this directly with the IRS via certified mail and phone. Neither has been successful with many attempts over the past year.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Your question probably went overlooked under the Arbitration/Mediation Law category. There's a section for Tax Law. Try reposting there. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.