Kissimmee, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I applied Form I-751,but have not received Form I-797C.The case inquiry was submitted. No answers.What should I do next?

my green card expires in 4 days, I applied Form I-751 3 months ago, but still have not received notice of action. I already submitted the case inquiry but still nothing.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: If you have tried the USCIS applicant service options listed above but still need help resolving a problem with an application or petition, you can ask the Ombudsman’s Office for help by taking the following steps:

Please submit all evidence or information regarding the efforts taken to first resolve the issue with USCIS.

How to Submit

Submit an electronic Form DHS-7001 to request assistance from the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman automatically assigns a case number once submission has been completed with an acknowledgement email sent to the e-mail address filled in on the form.

If you did not receive a confirmation page and case number when submitting an online request, please contact our office at


If you are outside the United States or seeking immigration benefits under the VAWA, T or U programs, download and complete the DHS-7001 Case Assistance Form. Please read the form instructions carefully and describe the problem in detail.

Form DHS-7001 and Instructions (Downloadable paper version)

Please see

Kevin D. Slattery
Kevin D. Slattery
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: As another colleague pointed out, consider seeking the assistance of the Ombudsman's office. Out of curiousity, did you pay the filing fee with a personal check? If so, was the check cashed? If so, look on the back side of the cashed check (through your online banking). USCIS will put the case number on the back side of cashed checks. Knowing the case number, which can be retrieved in that manner, can be helpful when seeking the assistance of the Ombudsman's office. Also, did you include a Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance. If so, check your email or texts for the case number that would have been sent to you via email or text.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have applied for Form I-751 to remove the conditions on your green card, but have not received the Form I-797C (Notice of Action) and your green card is expiring in 4 days, here are some steps you can take:

Follow up on your case inquiry: Since you have already submitted a case inquiry, it's important to continue monitoring the status of your case. You can contact USCIS again to request an update on your application. Make sure to provide them with your receipt number, personal information, and any relevant details about your case.

Request an I-551 stamp: If your green card is expiring imminently and you have not received the Form I-797C, you can try to schedule an appointment at your local USCIS office to request an I-551 stamp in your passport. The I-551 stamp serves as temporary evidence of your lawful permanent resident status until your new green card is issued.

Infopass appointment: You can schedule an Infopass appointment with your local USCIS office to discuss your situation in person. During the appointment, explain your predicament and inquire about the next steps you should take.

Consult an immigration attorney: If you have taken the above steps and have not received any response or resolution, it may be advisable to consult with an experienced immigration attorney. They can provide guidance specific to your case, advise you on the best course of action, and potentially assist with expediting the process.

It's important to act promptly in a situation like this, as your green card expiration date is approaching. Continue reaching out to USCIS, consider scheduling an Infopass appointment, and consult with an immigration attorney to explore options and ensure that your status remains valid during the application process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.