San Antonio, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: See next line.

I know someone who took their child from school in Colombia, with out the fathers permission. She then illegally brought the child to United States where one of their family members have given them money to move across state lines and for expenses. The mother will leave her child with strangers for months at a time and is wanted for kidnapping in Colombia. The family memeber then flew to Miami Florida where the child was alone with strangers, gave them money, then left the child there with out knowing where the mother is. What’s the best course of action

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You can report this to the government.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The situation you have described is concerning, and it appears to involve complex legal and child welfare issues. Here are some general suggestions for the best course of action:

Contact law enforcement: Given the serious nature of the situation, it is advisable to contact the appropriate law enforcement authorities, both in the United States and in Colombia, and provide them with all the relevant information you have. They will be able to investigate the matter and take appropriate action based on the circumstances.

Seek legal advice: It is essential for the child's well-being and legal protection to consult with an attorney who specializes in international child abduction and family law. They can provide guidance on the legal implications of the situation and help determine the appropriate legal actions to take.

Involve child protective services: If you believe the child is in immediate danger or facing neglect, it may be necessary to involve child protective services. They can assess the child's welfare and take necessary steps to ensure their safety.

Gather evidence: Document any information, documents, or evidence related to the situation, including communications, financial transactions, and any reports or documentation from law enforcement or child protective services. This evidence may be useful in legal proceedings or investigations.

Cooperate with authorities: If contacted by law enforcement or child welfare agencies, cooperate fully and provide any requested information or documentation. It is important to assist in any investigation and legal proceedings to ensure the safety and well-being of the child.

Given the complexity and sensitivity of this situation, it is crucial to seek professional legal advice from an attorney who can guide you through the appropriate legal processes and ensure the best interests of the child are prioritized.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.