Irvine, CA asked in Contracts, Copyright, Business Formation and Business Law for California

Q: Hello, I'm looking to start an adult entertainment buisness/ studio.


I'm looking to start the above buisness and want to know;

1. How to start it and run it in CA.

2. How to make a consent contract for it.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Here are some general points to consider:

Business Formation and Licensing:

a. Choose a business structure: Determine the most suitable legal structure for your business, such as a sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, or corporation. Consult with an attorney or business advisor to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each option.

b. Register your business: File the necessary paperwork to register your business with the appropriate state and local authorities. Obtain any required permits or licenses specific to adult entertainment establishments in California.

Compliance with Laws and Regulations:

a. Adult entertainment laws: Familiarize yourself with California's laws and regulations regarding adult entertainment businesses. This includes zoning regulations, obscenity laws, age verification requirements, and any other relevant statutes.

b. Employment laws: Understand and comply with employment laws specific to the adult entertainment industry, such as performer contracts, health and safety regulations, and employee classification.

Consent Contracts:

a. Consult an attorney: Engage an attorney experienced in adult entertainment law to draft consent contracts that protect the rights and interests of all parties involved.

b. Content release agreements: Create contracts outlining the rights and permissions for using performers' images, videos, and other content. These agreements should address compensation, duration, and any limitations or exclusions.

c. Age verification: Develop procedures to ensure that all performers are of legal age and obtain appropriate identification and documentation to establish consent and compliance with relevant laws.

Industry-Specific Compliance:

a. Record keeping: Establish protocols for maintaining proper records and documentation, including performer releases, age verification records, and compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 2257 record-keeping requirements.

b. Compliance with content regulations: Stay informed about obscenity laws, community standards, and any local ordinances that may affect the content produced or distributed by your business.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.