Asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: If someone fails to appear in court in Arkansas are they considered a fugitive?

Also, if I refuse to tell an officer where someone is that failed appear when asked can I be charged with anything?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: If the Court issues a warrant for the arrest of an accused for failure to appear, the accused may be considered a fugitive. That is, the active warrant subjects the person named in the warrant to arrest and detention. The term "fugitive" is sometimes used to invoke jurisdiction of law enforcement agencies like the U.S. Marshals Service. U.S. Marshals may assist local authorities apprehend as "fugitives" persons who are fleeing from state prosecution.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.