Honolulu, HI asked in Domestic Violence, Divorce and Family Law for Hawaii

Q: Can a person live just outside the protective area of a Tro from the filers home address?

My soon to be Ex wife assaulted me, was arrested. I placed a Tro against her. She moved into her friends house just 20 yards past the 100 yards no go zone for my home. I can’t drive out of the neighborhood or take my kids to park with being forced into the 100 yard zone. And she has been contacting our son who lives with me and has been FaceTiming him. So basically having eyes in ears in my house. She even told my son to tell me to put our other son to bed Cuase she heard him through the FaceTime. She plans to continue to contact our son and FaceTime him and have him just run to her friends house. Can she do that?

1 Lawyer Answer

A: I do not practice law in Hawaii so i can only speak to general principles of law. Typically restraining orders limit the activities of the respondent or person who is being restrained by the order. It sounds like you are person being protected by the order (often called a petitioner). Does the order limit her contact with the children? If so that could be a violation of the order. Check with an Hawaii attorney or domestic violence advocacy group to see if there is a separate crime under your state statutes for violating a protective order. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.