Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Divorce legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Hawaii Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Hawaii on
Q: Can my husband with out my permission use video recordings of me acting out after he provoked me into getting fired up
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Aug 16, 2023

In Hawaii, as in many states, the use of video recordings without consent can be a complex legal issue. While laws can vary, generally speaking, recording someone without their consent in situations where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy may raise legal concerns.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Divorce and Family Law for Hawaii on
Q: Can a person live just outside the protective area of a Tro from the filers home address?

My soon to be Ex wife assaulted me, was arrested. I placed a Tro against her. She moved into her friends house just 20 yards past the 100 yards no go zone for my home. I can’t drive out of the neighborhood or take my kids to park with being forced into the 100 yard zone. And she has been... View More

Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
answered on May 14, 2023

I do not practice law in Hawaii so i can only speak to general principles of law. Typically restraining orders limit the activities of the respondent or person who is being restrained by the order. It sounds like you are person being protected by the order (often called a petitioner). Does the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Divorce for Hawaii on
Q: Is there grounds for an annulment?

Thank you

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 18, 2023

Grounds for an annulment in Hawaii can include factors like fraud, bigamy, impotence, lack of consent, and underage marriage. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Divorce and Family Law for Hawaii on
Q: I am 66 years old, unmarried and residing for 8 years with a controling man who I depend on financially. I need $ to esc

In response to his proposal of marrige ,I gave up my business, friends, vocational license, all because he asked me to. When asked why I wasn't introduced to family and friends. He asked me to wait for his dad to pass. Eight lonely isolated years of empty promises later, he tells me... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 22, 2023

A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. I'm sorry for your difficult situation. Personal injury and general civil litigation attorneys (the chosen categories here) are not really versed in these issues. You could try reposting under Divorce, and if... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: Vaca condo Hi. Husband funds earned prior marriage; closed yr after wed ;broke even 8yrs ;separate property; yes???

used husbands funds earned prior to marriage, & condo broke even & wife never given interest in condo ;& due to wife’s massive medical debt put Hi. condo tenants by Entirety , but in Hi title not determined by title; husband’s separate property? Yes???wife filed legal separation in... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jul 13, 2023

A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. Some questions remain unanswered on this forum, but you wanted to try reposting, you could add Divorce and Real Estate as categories. This doesn't look like an insurance bad faith matter - and it may have... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Hawaii on
Q: My wife can't get a visa from the state department to return to me/USA. She is in the Philippines we need help advise,

We were married in Hawaii, she went back to her home and got stuck in the Philippines because of covid. Her visa was denied probably because I don't make enough money. I am on SSI. This has been a two year process and we only hear from visa agencies that we need to pay them a $1000.00 to get... View More

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
answered on Sep 27, 2022

If you are married to her, then you can apply for a spousal visa. If you do not make enough money to financially sponsor her, then you can enlist the aid of a joint financial sponsor. This can be anybody who is a green card holder or a US citizen state side, and if they make enough money, then your... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Hawaii on
Q: How will the following look to a judge.

How will it look to a judge that my son is paying a monthly amount to his wife who has walked out on him and four children? My daughter-in-law left in January and has little to do with the family. However, she drives the kids to school each morning and when our son needs to be out of town, she... View More

Don F. Harris
Don F. Harris
answered on Jun 6, 2019

First, if he is in he military, he is likely required to support his spouse by the military so long as he is married. I have had my military male clients get reported by the separated wife to his chain of command for not supporting her, and it has caused my clients problems.

Second, I tell...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Hawaii on
Q: Hi, How can I ask the court for temporary support? HRS Title 31 580-9

going through divorce and my financial situation worsen and need help.

Shelby N. Ferrer
Shelby N. Ferrer
answered on Mar 20, 2019

Yes, HRS 580-9 allows you to petition the court for orders for temporary alimony while you finalize your divorce. You need to file a Motion For Pre-Decree Relief to get a hearing date. The forms are available online at the Hawaii State Judiciary website. You should consult with an attorney to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Social Security for Hawaii on


Robin R. Gregory
Robin R. Gregory
answered on Mar 14, 2019

It depends what you are trying to do, what type of attorney you need. From your post, I guess you are trying to not pay the $23K child support. You ask if you are divorced. You can call the Family Courthouse and ask the clerk to look up a possible divorce under your name and your spouse's... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Hawaii on
Q: What are the chances of me getting full custody of my 2 year old daughter if I'm the father?

Her mom committed adultry and is hardly ever home always out at the bars and with her boyfriend never did come home to sleep for over a month and only comes home to get ready and put on makeup and gone for the whole night and day after that sometimes several days

Lauren M. Sharon
Lauren M. Sharon
answered on Dec 10, 2017

You should consult with an attorney, but unless the mother poses a danger to the child, it's unlikely she would lose custody of the child. 50/50 custody is most common in the state. The adultry probably won't be relevant.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Hawaii on
Q: I currently live in California. My husband filed for divorce in HI. Do I need to go to hi
Tobie B. Waxman
Tobie B. Waxman
answered on Jun 19, 2017

You would only need to go to Hawaii if there's a hearing scheduled. Contact the court house and find out what types of remote filing options they have - i.e. fax filing, efiling, etc. If you end up hiring an attorney, your attorney should be in Hawaii and licensed to practice there.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Hawaii on
Q: Am i allowed to take items out of our home to the pond shop bc husband won't support family financially?

I am in a abusive marriage and decided to leave him. I am working with social workers who help me go through the court/legal process. I have a TRO and he cannot contact me or his children. He refuses to support his children financially. He pays for rent and major bills but refuses to give me money... View More

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Oct 30, 2015

Hire an attorney and get the advice that you need about this. At least go to speak with a family attorney in your area and have a full discussion.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.