Kansas City, MO asked in Family Law, Adoption, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Kansas

Q: hello, i am 16 years old and i have ran away. how i can continue working at my job and enroll in school?

i turn 17 in november, and am adopted.

1 Lawyer Answer
Todd B. Kotler
Todd B. Kotler
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • Canton, OH

A: I am very concerned for you. Please seek out the assistance of an agency for at-risk youth or even the department of job and family services. I am assuming since you are still working a job you are within the same community as your parents, You may ask the school and work to change your address to a new location but likely are going to need to contact legal aid and explore whether you can be emancipated. Frankly, i believe you should seek out a trusted adult family member to act as your legal custodian until you graduate high school at least.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.