Dallas, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: Hello me and my ex have a son and we are co parenting but live sperated. Ive been paying her about $400 a month thro-

Through my bank for the past year to support my son. We are on great terms and communicate everything very well. I am concerned that the Texas laws won't allow me to do this over time and I wanna be sure I'm doing the right thing. She is in a serious relationship who is paying most of the bills and also caring for my son.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafee'a S. Majeed
Rafee'a S. Majeed
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you don't currently have a Texas court order regarding child support, you can continue to do what you are doing (i.e. paying through your bank account) for however long you guys want to do it. The State of Texas doesn't have any say in the matter.

However, if there is a Texas court order, most of the orders require that all child support payments made through the Texas State Disbursement Unit in San Antonio, Texas. This helps track the payments made in accordance with the court order. Most Texas court orders also state that you will not receive child support credit for "informal payments". Informal payments are any payments that are NOT made through the Texas State Disbursement Unit (i.e. payments made directly to the other parent, gifts for the child, etc.). In that case, the payments that you are making through your bank account to the other parent can be considered informal payments.

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.