Spring, TX asked in Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Hello, my landlord hired a management company to collect my deposit and rent she’s since severed ties with the company

and now they will not send the money to my Landlord or back to me is that not stealing!? The deposit is 1900 plus two months rent April/May’s. I’ve already sent an email to the management company asking them to forward the money to my landlord or send back to me immediately and they needed to respond within 24 hours before I take legal action! The management company did respond acknowledging they are no longer my landlord’s management team and will contact my landlord directly, however, last night my landlord sent me an email asking me to assist in getting the deposit and two months rent back from the company then forward to her! Can I file a police report and take the management co to small claims court for thievery!? I’m also filing a complaint on the company to the Texas real estate Commission and the BBB. Thanks

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The prior manager stole from the landlord, not from you. Your landlord is the one with the claim, not you, which is why your landlord is asking for your assistance to get the money back. Give them a copy of whatever you have that shows you gave the payment to the prior manager.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.