Asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: I was forced upon my arrival to Texas 9 years ago to sign premarital agreement… he never gave me a copy of it…

Now he want to divorce me… does this mean I won’t get anything? he is millionaire and alcoholic… what will happen to kids? I don’t have money to hire layers… what are my options

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It depends on what you and your husband agreed to in your prenup.

Ben  Carrasco
Ben Carrasco pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Define "force"? A lot of people claim they were "forced" to sign something, when in reality they weren't. Unless he did (of threatened to do) something to you he didn't have a legal right to do in order to induce you to sign the prenup--like hold a gun to your head to use a classic example--then you were not "forced" in the eyes of the law to sign it and, therefore, you signed it voluntarily. For example, if he threatened not to marry you if you didn't sign it, that is not "forcing" since he had a legal right not to go through with the marriage if you refused to sign the prenup.

Also, a prenup can only deal with property division, not child custody issues. If your husband is a millionaire as you claim, then the court can order him to help pay for your lawyer in the event your husband files for divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.