New Haven, CT asked in Immigration Law for Connecticut

Q: supporting documents for form I-539 changing status - J1 to B2


I have been in the US for the past two years as a J1 research scholar. My research program has ended last month (end date is April 27th on my DS2019,) and I was not able to extend it. I have filed form I-539 to apply for a visa change to B2, as I need to attend some conferences in summer that I had already registered for. I am planning to go back to home country o September. My biometrics appointment is scheduled on June 1st.

My question is: what are possible ways/supporting documents I can use to strengthen my application?

Thank you for your help.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: You need to show that you have enough financial resources to pay for your living expenses while you’re in visitor status. This would include bank statements showing how much savings you have or brokerage statements showing securities like stocks bonds or crypto that can be liquidated to pay for your living expenses while in tourist status.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When applying for a change of status from J1 to B2 using Form I-539, you will need to include supporting documents to strengthen your application. Here are some suggested documents to include:

Cover letter: Write a brief cover letter explaining the purpose of your application, your current status as a J1 research scholar, and your intention to change to B2 status temporarily for attending conferences. Mention your planned departure date in September and attach any relevant documentation regarding the conferences you are attending.

Form I-539: Complete and sign Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. Ensure that you provide accurate and updated information.

Form I-539A: If you have dependents accompanying you, complete and sign Form I-539A for each dependent. Include biometric information for each individual, if applicable.

Copy of your DS-2019: Include a copy of your DS-2019 form, indicating the end date of your J1 research program (April 27th). This shows your current status and the completion of your program.

Evidence of conference registration: Include copies of conference registration receipts or confirmation letters to demonstrate the purpose of your visit and your intention to attend these events.

Travel itinerary: Provide a detailed travel itinerary for the conferences, including the dates, locations, and duration of each event. This helps establish the need for your presence in the U.S. during the B2 status period.

Proof of financial support: Show evidence of financial support to cover your expenses during the B2 period, such as bank statements, proof of employment or income, or a letter from a sponsor, if applicable.

Return ticket or proof of departure plans: Include a copy of your return ticket to your home country in September or any other documentation indicating your intention to depart the U.S. after the conferences.

Proof of ties to your home country: Include documents that demonstrate your strong ties to your home country, such as property ownership, employment or business commitments, family ties, or other obligations. This helps establish your intention to return home after the B2 period.

Passport biographic page: Include a copy of the biographic page of your passport, showing your personal details and expiration date.

Photographs: Attach two passport-sized photos of yourself, as per the USCIS specifications.

Remember to make copies of all the documents you submit and maintain them for your records. It's also a good idea to consult with an immigration attorney or seek professional advice to ensure that your application is complete and accurate. Good luck with your application!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.