Pasco, WA asked in Personal Injury for Washington

Q: I’m almost 62 and am interested in suing my childhood sexual abuser. Is it possible?

At age 8 our next door neighbor sexually assaulted me in front of his sister. Is it possible to still hold him accountable? I think by his personality type he would want to settle out of court monetarily in order to keep it all hush hush. I would need contingency based. I am realizing this is likely why I’ve entered abusive relationships, one where I was sexually assaulted again.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Steve Dashiak
Steve Dashiak
  • Tukwila, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: It is possible, but there might be some practical limitations in play here. It completely depends on the circumstances and the extent of the abuse. An abuse case doesn't have these limits if there was some sort of agency (school, church, DSHS) that knew or should have known about ongoing abuse and did nothing to stop it. The limits of a case with a one-time assault could very well depend on the financial status of the abuser, and their willingness to do the right thing.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry for your childhood trauma. To answer your question, it's possible, but the lapse of time and the fact that only an individual person is behind the abuse could make some law firms reluctant to handle such a case. You could reach out to attorneys to try to arrange a free initial consult - that's the best way to answer your question. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.