Columbus, GA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Georgia

Q: Mom passed. Dad's selling the house. What rights do I have as her sole heir with no will?

Dad says that I am required to sign a form to give him permission to a sell the house. What are my rights currently? What rights am I signing away? The items in the house are sentimental, am I allowed to keep any of those items as keepsake?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Georgia law provides that a spouse and children share equally in the estate. If you are the only child, you are entitled to one half of the estate.

Your father had a right to file for year's support which could result in him receiving all property.

You should consult with a lawyer specializing in probate matters when your father gives you some papers to sign.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.