Aurora, CO asked in Bankruptcy and Banking for Pennsylvania

Q: I currently have a loan with a lien on my car. I’m financially able to make the payments for the loan however,

The car needs $8000+ in repairs mechanically and the car is not worth that so it is pointless to dump money into it. I’m wondering if I can just surrender the car and continue to make payments on the loan or will there be serious issues with that. Can they take it and sell it and allow me to make the payments. Otherwise the car is just going to sit and collect dirt. I have not reached out to the company yet to ask about this yet

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Once a bankruptcy case is filed, the Code provides that you can tender the collateral to the secured lender in full satisfaction of the secured portion of its claim (there may be disputes about the value of the collateral).

Short of a bankruptcy filing, you can certainly offer the car to the secured lender, for a credit upon the loan balance, but the lender most probably would offer the vehicle for sale at auction, and apply any proceeds, less costs of sale, to the debt. It would be by agreement with your lender, and the lender may opt to refuse to accept the collateral if it is worthless (check your loan documents for clarification of this option).

Your best path is to speak with an experienced attorney in PA, who will have read your loan documents, to advise you of your options, and perhaps speak with your lender to negotiate some agreement.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.